Sunday, January 11, 2009

Coming out of hibernation....

Soooo, this is my first blog in the new year and my first blog in, uhm, a long long time. So, what have I been up to in the last 3 months?

Well, first of all I've started a PhD. This unfortunately since this year involves courses, and one of these is taught on Saturdays, so that is a bit of a pain. But I took most of October off anyway, so I could slowly get used to this new and changed situation.

Then there was November. Nothing much happened in November (at least I can't really remember, time just flew by!), but I started training again. Nothing major, just getting back out on the bike and ride around, so I could still have a life and be social. Oh, and I went to some conferences for my PhD.


In December I did the same, but then there was Christmas and I spent a week in Germany with my family in Bavaria. Now, that was cool, because for Xmas I got to go skiing with them! So we went skiing not once, not twice, but a whole three times when I was there! It was so much fun and I think it helps me overcome my fast downhill descending fear, you should have seen how fast I went down those mountains!! (thank god there is no proof of those 3-year olds when they overtook me ;)).


I did a bit of running there, because ice isn't very nice to cycle on and running just keeps you warmer. So we went skiing in the morning (isn't it great having a brother living near the mountains :P), I went running in the afternoon (16.4km) , skiing again next morning and then running again in the afternoon (22.3km). Ok, I did take the third day off.


With the new year the college work began again. Projects, assignments, papers etc.

But all is not so bad, because I just relocated to Gran Canaria for the next two weeks for some warm weather training (those arctic temperatures in Ireland didn't really do it for me, although the trails were frozen-cement-bone-dry and fantastic to ride, so fast and so flowy, as long as your toes didn't freeze off). I'll put up a post about my amazing rides in GC soon. Now I've got to do some college work.

1 comment :

trio said...

I am jealous of the fact you are getting warm rides out in gran canaria while I am about to go out in the rain that is here in the UK, lucky me!